- 50 grams butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup strawberries (halved)
- 1 cup rhubarb (cut in pieces)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 75 grams butter (melted and cooled)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Grease a round pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- In a small saucepan, combine 50 grams of butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes until it forms a light caramel. Place the caramel in the bottom of the round pan and spread evenly.
- Distribute the strawberries and the rhubarb on top of the caramel in a concentric layer without leaving empty spaces.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, 1 cup of sugar, and lemon zest until fluffy (for about 3 minutes) with an electric mixer. Add 75 grams of melted butter and buttermilk and stir well. Finally, add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until smooth.
- Pour over top of the fruit layer and bake until cooked.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before turning it upside down onto a serving plate.
- Serve plain or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- To prepare the buttermilk, add a tablespoon of lemon juice to 3/4 cup of milk and let sit for about 15 minutes before using.