Oatmeal doesn't always have to be completely virtuous to still be a healthy breakfast. Feel free to switch things up every now and then to avoid falling into a hot cereal rut. Take this recipe as your cue: Once the oatmeal is finished cooking, you stir in mashed fresh strawberries, your sweetener of choice, and, as the crowning touch, dark chocolate shavings made by scraping a bar with a vegetable peeler or sharp paring knife.
- 175 milliliters milk
- 175 milliliters water
- 100 grams oats
- sea salt (with bee pollen, or similar)
- 6 strawberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or 1 tbsp. honey or maple syrup)
- 1 chocolate (baking square, 70% cocoa)
- Bring the milk and water to boil in a saucepan, add the oatmeal and season with a pinch of salt.
- On medium heat, cook the oatmeal, stirring occasionally.
- Crush the strawberries and add them to the oatmeal once it is cooked.
- Sweeten to taste and serve warm, garnished with chocolate shavings.