This thing of beauty is ideal for a summer celebration, when strawberries are in abundance and at their peak of flavor. There's also cake sliced with strawberry filling used to line the sides of the serving dish, and a rich and luscious cream filling that's layered with more strawberries and so on. It's a surefire showstopper and almost too pretty to eat, but too scrumptious not to, so go ahead and dig right in.
- 30 grams sugar
- 30 grams butter
- 1 egg whites
- 40 grams flour
- red food coloring
- 6 drops lemon extract
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams flour
- raspberry jam (to fill)
- Line the sides of the bowl with sliced cake. Heat condensed milk and egg yolks in a saucepan.
- Stir well to mix.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in milk and add to egg mixture.
- Add vanilla and cook over low heat until mixture starts to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Pour cream mixture into bottom of bowl and let cool. Slice strawberries and arrange in the cream layer on top of the egg mixture.
- Prepare gelatin according to instructions.
- Let cool for a few minutes and pour over strawberries. Refrigerate until gelatin is set.
- For the next layer, cut gelatin sheets into pieces and place in a bowl with cold water to hydrate.
- Beat egg whites. Set aside. Whip cream and carefully add sugar when stiff peaks start to rise.
- Drain gelatin and microwave for 15 seconds until dissolved. Do not allow gelatin to boil.
- Add cream and stir to mix.
- Add cream to the beaten egg whites.
- Pour over the gelatin layer.
- To serve, garnish with strawberries, if desired.