A beautiful jam with bold flavor makes for an excuse to go strawberry picking or pick up a few extra cartons at your local grocery store or market. Made with equal parts brown and white sugar, this jam also incorporates lemon and cinnamon to produce a fresh warm flavor you will want to spread on everything.
- 1,500 grams strawberries (wished, with stems removed)
- 400 grams brown sugar
- 400 grams white sugar
- 1/2 lemon (medium)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place all ingredients in a tall saucepan or pot and cook at low/medium heat. When the mixture starts boiling, lower the heat slightly and let simmer, stirring occasionally.
- When the strawberries are soft, remove the cinnamon stick and mix the jam with a hand blender. Do not remove from heat.
- Cook until the jam is ready. To check if the jam is ready, drop a bit on a smooth surface and pass a spoon through it. If the jam leaves a "road" (which doesn't disappear immediately) when a spoon passes through it, it is ready.
- Remove from the heat and place immediately in sterilized jars.
- Turn the bottles upside down until they cool completely.
- To serve: spread on bread or crackers, or use to fill cakes and pies.