French toast studded with juicy strawberries and swirled with cream cheesecake. If this counts as breakfast, then breakfast is our favorite meal of the day.
- 1 pound day-old challah bread
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh)
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 7/8 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (divided)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9 x 13” casserole dish liberally with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut the bread into 1” cubes and set aside. Roughly chop the strawberries and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt until smooth and combined. Place the bread cubes and strawberries into the bowl. Fold with a rubber spatula until all the bread is throughly coated in the egg and milk mixture.
- In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Transfer half the soaked bread cubes to the prepared casserole dish. Drop half the cream cheese mixture by heaping teaspoons over the bread cubes. Pour the remaining bread cubes into the casserole dish. Drop the remaining cream cheese mixture by heaping teaspoons over the top of the dish.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the preheated oven.
- Bake the french toast for 45-50 minutes, until it is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven.
- Allow the French toast to cool in the dish for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over the top of the dish, if desired. Cut the French toast into squares, or simply transfer to a plate with a large spoon. Serve.