Strawberry jam is what gives this cake its pretty-in-pink layers. The batter is made by stirring the wet and dry ingredients together by hand; do not whisk or beat, or the cake will be tough, not tender. To test for doneness, poke a toothpick in the middle; if it comes out clean, the cake is ready. Let cool completely in the pan before inverting and serving, preferably topped with fresh strawberries and perhaps some whipped cream.
- 200 grams flour
- 100 grams sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large eggs
- 100 grams milk
- 70 grams softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl, add and mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- In another bowl, mix the egg, milk, butter, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, and stir well. Do not whisk, this batter should be mixed but not whisked, so the crumb cake is tender
- Grease rectangular baking pan, and cover the bottom with strawberry jam, pour in the batter, and finally some more strawberry jam.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Do the toothpick test: when the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Remove from oven, let cool, and unmold.