Strawberry-Buttermilk Ebelskivers With Almond-Honey GlazeFOODISTA
Remove All from Shopping List
- Combine the strawberries and 1/2 tsp sugar in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use. In a separate small bowl combine almond butter, honey, and warm water. Whisk until smooth, adding more water to thin it out if you like, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together egg yolks, then add the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla (if using). Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until well-blended. The batter will be rather lumpy.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff, but not dry peaks form. Using a spatula, carefully fold about 1/3 of the whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold the rest in until no white streaks remain. Use the batter right away.
- Heat the ebelskiver pan over medium heat and rub some butter in each cavity. When the butter begins to bubble, quickly put about 1 T of batter in each spot, followed by 1 tsp of filling, then another 1 T or so of batter. When the sides begin to bubble and look a bit dry (like a pancake ready to flip), turn each ebelskiver over by manuvering it down and around with a pair of wooden skewers. (After a few flips, you'll be a pro.) Continue to cook until the other sides are golden brown. Transfer to a large plate or platter and repeat with remaining batter and filling.
- Serve with a drizzle of almond-honey glaze and some fresh fruit, if desired.