- 1/4 pound thick cut bacon (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup Santa Cruz Organic Apple Sauce
- 8 ounces truRoots Ancient Grains Organic Elbows
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (plus additional for garnish)
- COOK bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until bacon is crispy. Remove from skillet. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings. Cook shallots, flour, salt and pepper in reserved drippings over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- ADD milk, apple sauce and raw pasta. Cook on medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat. Add cheese and paprika, mixing until well combined.
- TOP with crumbled bacon and sprinkle of smoked paprika. Cover with foil. Let stand on burner 15 to 20 minutes to allow pasta to soften.