This is the definitive answer to the question of what to prepare for a winter gathering, as it is incredibly hearty (in the best way) and makes enough to serve a small crowd. Just consider the protein quotient: bacon, chourico sausage, blood sausage, and meat sausage. Adding further heft to the stew are red beans, potatoes, and massa cotovelinhos. Piercing the sausages will allow their flavorful juices to permeate the broth.
- 4 slices bacon (cut into strips)
- 2.5 liters water
- 1 whole onion
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 750 grams potatoes (cut into cubes)
- 1 handful elbow macaroni
- 3 cans red beans (420g each)
- 1 sausage (meat)
- 1 blood sausage
- 1 farinheira sausage (smoked sausage made from wheat flour, pork fat and seasonings)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- salt (to taste)
- Place a pan on the stove with water, onion, garlic cloves (put in their shell), bay leaf, meat and meat sausage.
- Let it boil until the meat is soft and then add the "chouriço" and the "farinheira".
- Leave them for just a few minutes, then remove them to prevent them from disrupting (add holes so that it helps to flavor the broth).
- Remove all the sausage, cut into slices and reserve.
- Also remove the onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- Add the potatoes, pasta and chopped coriander, reserve some for decoration.
- After all cooked, add the beans, sausages, seasoning salt and sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander.