Stollen is a classic German dessert that is typically served around Christmas. In this version, the sweet yeasted dough is formed into a wreath making it a beautiful dessert. The dough is studded with candied orange and figs which both impart their flavor and sweetness on the dessert. Almonds add a nice bit of crunch to the cake. A brushing of melted butter and a dusting of powdered sugar add a nice finish to the dessert.
- 1 orange (candied, diced)
- 4 figs (candied, diced)
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/8 cup water (lukewarm)
- 7 grams yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 70 grams butter
- 385 grams flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 eggs
- 1 yolk
- 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 cup almonds (chopped)
- melted butter
- confectioners sugar
- Mix the candied orange and figs with the orange juice and set aside.
- Stir the yeast into the lukewarm water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat the milk and butter together until the butter melts. Let cool.
- Place the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and orange rind in a mixer. Add the yeast and then the milk mixtures.Whisk the vanilla extract, egg, and egg yolk together and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix until the dough is smooth and elastic and not very sticky. Add flour as needed.
- Add the fruit and juice mixture and the almonds and stir to incorporate. Place the dough into a bowl, cover with plastic, and place in a warm place until it increases in volume.
- Spread the dough out onto a floured surface to form a large rectangle. Roll it up lengthwise into a tube and bring the ends together to form a circle. Fit one of the ends into the other and seal. Place on a silicone or parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- Cut two thirds into the dough with kitchen shears every 5 centimeters, around the ring. Cover with plastic once more and set out in a warm place.
- Once the volume has doubled, bake at 180 Celsius for 20 minutes, rotate the baking sheet, and bake 20 minutes more, until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Let sit one minute and then repeat. Cool 1 hour before slicing and serving.