- 15 pounds boneless pork roast (lean)
- 2 pounds bean thread (Asian cellophane noodles)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 cups lemon peel (finely shredded)
- 6 pounds broccoli flowerets
- 3 pounds cauliflower flowerets
- 2 pounds carrots (peeled, sliced into coins)
- 4 pounds peppers (red and/or green, cut into ½ inch pieces)
- 3 pounds tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 9 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 1/2 cups teriyaki sauce
- 1 1/4 cups cornstarch
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon pepper (salt free)
- 3 cups green onions (sliced)
- 3 cups cilantro (chopped)
- Place roast on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Do not cover pan.
- Insert meat thermometer into the center of the roast.
- Roast at 325 degrees Fahrenheit until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- (Approximate oven time may vary depending on oven use, and weight of pork being cooked. Start checking with a thermometer an hour into cooking time.)
- Remove from oven and let the roast "rest" for 15 minutes.
- Place into a shallow pan.
- Cover and refrigerate, cooling to 40 degrees Fahrenheit within 4 hours.
- Cube chilled roast into approximately ½ by ½ inch cubes.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat oil in a deep fat fryer.
- In small batches, place noodles in fine mesh fryer basket and fry in the hot oil for approximately 8 seconds or until the threads are puffed and white. Make sure all threads are puffed.
- Do not brown.
- Drain each batch on layered paper towels. Set aside until needed.
- Sauté garlic and lemon peel in a tilting fry pan seasoned with cooking oil for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and peppers.
- Continue sautéing the vegetables.
- Add the pork cubes and continue heating.
- Add the tomatoes and combine gently.
- Reduce heat to low and hold at 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the broth into a separate sauce pan.
- Whisk in the cornstarch, teriyaki sauce, lemon juice, sugar and spice until thoroughly combined.
- Stirring continually, heat mixture over medium heat until thickened.
- Pour over the meat/vegetable mixture.
- Stir the mixture gently and warm through.
- Spoon into a steam table pan; cover and hold at 140 degrees Fahrenheit until serving.
- To serve, place approximately 1 cup of "straw" on each plate forming a "nest" for the stir fry. Spoon approximately 1 cup of mixture in the center of the "straw."
- Garnish with sliced green onions and cilantro, depending upon student preferences.
- Place mixture in 2 inch shallow pans. Cover and place on rack in the cooler. Do not stack pans. Allow for air to circulate around the pans. Cool to 40 degrees Fahrenheit within 4 hours.
- Reheat product to 170 Fahrenheit degrees or higher for at least 1 minute. Stir gently to distribute heat evenly. Hold at 140 degrees Fahrenheit or higher to serve.