- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon five spice (Chinese)
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 lbs)
- 4 baby eggplant (thickly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced diagonally)
- Place the sesame seeds, ginger, garlic, hoisin sauce, honey and Chinese five spice in a large plastic bag. Place the chicken in the bag and massage the marinade all over the chicken. Close the bag tightly around the chicken and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place eggplant in large baking pan; drizzle with the oil and toss to coat eggplant. Move the eggplant to the sides and place the chicken in the center, breast-side down. Reserve any remaining marinade for basting.
- Roast for 45 mins. Turn the chicken, breast-side up, and eggplant. Baste the chicken with the reserved marinade and pan juices. Roast for 45 mins, basting once during cooking. If over-browning, cover pan loosely with foil.
- Transfer the chicken and eggplant to separate dishes. Cover chicken with foil and let rest in a warm place for 10 mins.
- Pour the pan juices from the pan into a small bowl. Skim the fat from the surface of the pan juices. Return the pan juices to the baking pan with the vinegar and sugar; stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Add eggplant and cook, stirring, for 1-2 mins or until the eggplant is well coated. Serve chicken with eggplant. Sprinkle with green onions.
|Calories430Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.