Here's a flavorful one pot stew that would be equally appropriate for a family dinner or for serving to a few friends when entertaining. Squid, or calamari, is relatively inexpensive and available frozen, already trimmed and cleaned, for the ultimate in convenience. Here the strips are browned in a bit of olive oil and then simmered with potatoes and carrots and seasonings until everything is tender, with white beans and chorizo adding extra heft and flavor.
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 onions (chopped)
- olive oil (as needed)
- 1 kilogram squid strips (frozen, cut into squares)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 potatoes (cubed)
- 3 carrots (sliced)
- tomato paste
- 1 can white beans
- chorizo (sliced, to taste)
- Saute the garlic and onion in some olive oil.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the squid. Let it brown slightly.
- Add enough water to cook the squid, some salt, and the bay leaf. Add the potatoes and carrots. Add a bit of tomato paste and season to taste.
- Cook for about 30 minutes. Halfway through cooking, add the can of white beans and sliced chorizo.