- 1 steelhead fillet (large, with skin on)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- Mix sugar and salt in a measuring cup
- Place steelhead on a layer of plastic wrap, flesh side up
- Remove any remaining bones
- Sprinkle flesh liberally with salt and sugar mixture
- Wrap fillet tightly in plastic wrap and place on a plate or cookie sheet in the refrigerator and then put a weight on the fillet. Large cans of tomatoes work as does a plastic bag filled with rock salt.
- Refrigerate for 48 hours. The fish will release a fair amount of liquid, so be careful not to spill when you remove from the refrigerator.
- Remove fillet from plastic wrap and pat dry with a paper towel. Rewrap the fish an place in the freezer until frozen solid.
- Place frozen in an electric smoker, with ice in the water bowl to keep the internal temperature as low as possible.