- 1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- beaten egg (to glaze)
- 16 fruit flavored (hard candies such as Life Savers, colors separated, crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a small bowl until light and creamy. Add the egg; beat until combined. Using a round-bladed knife, mix in the sifted flour until combined. Shape and press the dough into a ball. Turn out onto a sheet of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out to 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter, out 25 rounds from the dough (re-rolling dough if necessary). Place the rounds on the prepared trays. Using a 1 inch round cookie cutter, stamp out holes from the center of each round. Brush lightly with the beaten egg. Bake for 7 mins.
- Remove the trays from oven and fill the holes in cookies with the crushed candies. Bake for 5 mins more or until candies melt. Cool on the trays for 15 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.