Takes some time to assemble but can be done the evening before to make an impressive centerpiece for a bunch buffet. Serve with fresh fruit salad and your favorite muffins or rolls.
- 1 cup smoked ham (fully cooked, cubed)
- 1 cup salami (cubed)
- 8 ounces sausage links (brown and serve)
- 1 pound fresh spinach (OR 10-oz package frozen)
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded, about 8 ounces OR Swiss)
- 17 ounces puff pastry (defrosted)
- Steam or cook spinach, drain in strainer, pressing to remove excess moisture. Beat 4 eggs and 1 egg white together. Beat remaining egg yolk with water; set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in an 8-inch omelet pan. When hot, pour in half the beaten eggs and cook until set, turning if needed to cook top. Remove from pan but do not fold. Repeat with remaining butter and eggs.
- Open pastry sheets carefully, pinching to close any holes. Roll one sheet into a 12-inch square. Carefully lift and fit into an 8-inch springform pan. Trim second pastry into an 8-inch circle. Make pastry cutouts from scraps.
- To assemble: place one omelet on pastry in bottom of springform pan. Spoon drained spinach over this. Layer half the cheese over spinach. Top with ham and red peppers. Add second omelet and arrange sausage links over this. Sprinkle over salami. Top with remaining cheese. Adjust circle over all, cut pastry as needed and pinch edge. Brush pastry with beaten egg yolk and water. Arrange pastry cut-outs atop. Bake in a 375 degree F. oven for 70-75 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting. May be served warm or cold.