Squid is sturdy enough to hold up to the heat of a hot grill, but its shape often makes that a difficult process. That's when you break out the skewers, which will allow you to turn the squid for even cooking, too. Here the squid is threaded with bell peppers, sausage, and onion and served with a delectable sauce that's also cooked on the grill (in its own pan) and made with butter, parsley, and lemon juice.
- 1 kilogram squid (cleaned)
- red pepper (to taste)
- green pepper (to taste)
- onions (to taste)
- sausages (to taste)
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 1 lemon (juice)
- potatoes (for grilling)
- Thoroughly rinse the squid, removing the body from the tentacles.
- Leave to drain in a colander (the drier the squid, the better for grilling).
- Chop the peppers and onion into large pieces. Set aside.
- Remove the skin from the sausage and cut into thick slices. Set aside.
- Assemble the kebabs with the squid, peppers, onions, and sausage. (Take care to choose skewers that fit the grill being used, so that no part of the kebab is out of contact with the heat).
- Skewer all the ingredients in a random yet balanced way. Heat the grill until it is very hot. Place kebabs over the heat and sprinkling with salt.
- Boil the unpeeled potatoes. When cooked cut into thick slices and pat dry.
- Once kebabs are cooked, remove and grill the potato slices.
- In a small pan, place the olive oil, butter, crushed unpeeled garlic cloves, chopped parsley, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Heat the sauce until butter is melted. Bring to a simmer.
- Arrange the kebabs and potato slices on a platter and sprinkle with the hot butter sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- Serve with a tomato salad.