I tried squid ink pasta for the first time a few years ago, but could never work up the courage to make this. I went to Eataly a few weeks ago & was inspired when I saw the fresh squid ink pasta. I loved topping this with fresh Mozzarella vs melting it into the pasta, but if you want a dairy free pasta it's great without the Mozzarella cheese as well.
- 1 pound pasta (squid ink, I purchased this at Eataly, it's about $8/lb.)
- 1 lemon
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella (optional - room temp)
- 2 plum tomatoes (seeded & diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 pound shrimps (tail on, deveined)
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add olive oil & a little salt then throw in the squid ink pasta.
- After about 2-5 minutes drain the pasta. (Depending on where you got the pasta from, it might be best to follow those instructions.
- Season the shrimp with 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 clove of garlic, some sea salt & black pepper, and squeeze half a lemon.
- I used the same pot that I cooked the pasta in because I hate washing dishes, to cook the shrimp. I cooked the shrimp until it was slightly pink & got a little bit smaller. (about 5 minutes) Then I transferred the shrimp to another plate.
- Add in the tomatoes & red peppers. The tomatoes will cook down into a little bit of a sauce & the red peppers will be firm but steamed.
- Throw in the squid ink pasta, add 1tbsp olive oil, pinch of salt & black pepper, other half of lemon & throw in the shrimp. Mix well.
- Plate the pasta & if you'd like to add mozzarella, this would but the time to tear it up & throw it on top.