This Vegan Sprouted Wheat Bread Recipe makes a great sandwich bread. It has sprouted wheat and Sprouted Millet for a nutty flavor. Dairy-free
- 1/4 cup wheat berries (or other grains like spelt, barley or rye)
- 1/4 cup millet
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour (or unbleached flour)
- 2 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon active yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup non dairy yogurt (or coconut milk)
- Sprout the grains: Soak the wheat berries and millet in water overnight. Drain, wash and let sit in the bowl covered with a damp paper towel and a lid. Depending on the ambient temperature, it might take a day or more to sprout.
- Blend the sprouted grains with 3/4 cup water 2 to 3 cycles so the grains break down and are not too large to inhibit gluten formation. (each blending cycle is a minute long)
- Mix the salt into the bread + wheat flours and keep ready.
- Mix the yeast and sugar in a 1/2 cup of warm water and let sit for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- In a stand mixer or by hand, add the flours, yeast mixture, blended sprouted grains, warmed yogurt and oil and knead into a soft dough. Let sit for 1.5 hours. Punch down, use a Tbsp or so flour to shape into a loaf. Spray water on the loaf and sprinkle sesame seeds or oats. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled. 40-45 mins.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at pre-heated 365 degrees F. Cool completely before slicing. Store refrigerated for upto a week. This Sandwich bread can be made into burger buns or dinner rolls as well and can be anywhere you use bread slices.
PER SERVING *
|Calories670Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|