Spring Vegetarian Casserole With Cute Herb DumplingsFOODISTA
- 100 grams self raising flour
- 50 grams butter (at room temperature, cut in pieces)
- 50 grams mature cheddar (finely grated)
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley (finely)
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1/2 shallots (peeled and cut in lengthways)
- 250 grams small new potatoes (cut int half)
- 1/2 garlic cloves (3 peeled, cut in lengthways)
- 200 grams baby carrots (scraped but left whole)
- 3 wedges fennel bulbs (about 500 g total weight, each cut into 8)
- 600 milliliters vegetable stock (boiling, Marigold Swiss bouillion is goo)
- 300 grams white wine (fruity, such as sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio)
- 1 pinch muscovado sugar (light or dark)
- 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 200 grams green beans (trimmed and cut in half)
- 250 grams chestnut mushrooms (halved if large)
- 2 grams courgettes (200 baby, each cut into 4 chunks, or courgettes cut in sticks)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1/2 fresh red chilli (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chives (each snipped, and chopped parsley)
- To make the dumplings, rub the flour and butter together so it looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to season and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or flameproof casserole (about 3.5 litres) over a high-ish heat, then throw in the halved shallots. Fry for 2-3 minutes till beginning to soften and turn brown and gold in places. Now still working on quite a high heat, add the potatoes and watch for the same effect, about 5-7 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon and generally moving the pan about a bit. Add the garlic, carrots and fennel, allowing a couple of minutes between each so they get a chance to release their flavours. Pour in the stock along with most of the wine, then stir in the sugar and soy sauce and return to the boil. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. If preparing ahead make up to the end of step 2, cool and ch<
- Stir about 2 tbsp of water into the dumpling mixture to form a soft dough. Break off small pieces to make 20-25 dumplings, then shape into rounds about the size of a cherry tomato. Add the green beans and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms and courgettes. Stir the cornflour into the remaining wine until it has dissolved, then stir into the casserole until it thickens. Bring to the boil, stir well then gently place the dumplings on top. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently for about 15 minutes till the dumplings have risen, and the stew is rich and thick and the vegetables deliciously tender. Check the seasoning.
- Mix the chilli and herbs together in a small bowl and scatter on top of the casserole.
|Calories500Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.