Add a little asian inspiration to your night with these summer fresh spring rolls. These spring rolls can be made assembly line style making for a fun dinner prep activity for the kids or your friends. The shrimp, rice noodles, and rice paper need to be cooked beforehand. The rolls are made by placing a leaf of lettuce on sheet of rice paper followed by a pinch of rice noodles, fresh cilantro and mint, and bean sprouts before being rolled up burrito style. Serve with soy sauce or a sweet and sour sauce for dipping.
- 8 jumbo shrimp (cooked and halved)
- 70 grams rice noodles
- 8 sheets rice paper
- cilantro leaves
- mint leaves
- 432 grams bean sprouts (canned)
- 8 leaves iceberg lettuce
- soy sauce
- Heat a pot of water while you put all the ingredients in small dishes to make an assembly line.
- When the water starts to boil, add the rice noodles. Immediately shut off the heat, cover, and let sit for a few minutes until the noodles soften. Drain them and rinse them with cold water. If they start to stick during the assembly process, rinse them again with cold water.
- Fill a flat-bottomed bowl about the size of the rice papers with room temperature water. Lay out a clean, moist kitchen towel to work on.
- Add a rice paper to the water for about 1 minute until it softens. Transfer to the kitchen towel and lightly blot with paper towels.
- Lay 2 shrimp halves down the middle of the rice paper. Top with a piece of lettuce smaller than the paper, some noodles, cilantro, mint, and bean sprouts. Roll up like a burrito.
- Repeat with the other rice papers and serve with the soy sauce as a dipping sauce.