Store-bought crepes can be found in the refrigerator case at most supermarkets and gourmet food shops, and they are a wonderful short-cut to preparing a special springtime meal. These are filled with assorted vegetables doused with a bit of vinegar and soy sauce before baking and serving with a delectable sweet, tangy, and sour dipping sauce that's made from brown sugar, orange juice, and cider vinegar, among other ingredients. You can cook the sauce a day or two ahead of time and let cool before storing airtight in the refrigerator.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 pinches salt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (or wine)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Orange (pineapple juice is good too)
- shells (Crepes)
- 3 cups savoy cabbage (thin sliced )
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 2 leeks (thinly sliced )
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (medium/large, chopped finely)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or whatever available)
- 5 salt (sprinkles)
- olive oil (to taste)
- For the sauce:
- Place first 9 ingredients in a saucepan and whisk or stir with a fork until all is well integrated. Bring to simmer, stirring constantly. As soon as sauce starts to thicken, remove from the heat and pour into a small bowl. Place in a jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator if not using the same day.
- For the crepes:
- In a pan, heat a generous amount of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add the onion and chopped garlic and saute until golden brown. Add all the remaining ingredients and seasoning and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and let cool. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (approximately 356º F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Assemble the crepes:
- Place a crepe shell on a flat surface as if it was diamond shaped. In the center, place two tablespoons of the filling. Fold the edges of the diamond over the filling and roll the remaining dough until shaped like a crepe. Place on the baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
- Serve warm with the sauce.