- 3 eggs (separated, plus 1 extra egg yolk)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 1/4 tablespoons custard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chocolate sprinkles
- 10 red licorice laces (thin)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 13x15 inch rimmed baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whip egg whites with 4 tbsp cold water and a pinch of salt. Gradually whisk in sugar and vanilla until meringue is stiff and glossy. Whisk in egg yolks, 1 at a time. Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder over top. Fold in until combined. Transfer to prepared pan and bake for about 10 mins.
- Remove sponge cake from oven and carefully invert onto a tea towel. Remove parchment paper. Use the tea towel to help roll up sponge cake from a long side. Let cool for 1 hour.
- Whisk together heavy cream and milk. Slowly whisk in custard powder then continue whisking for 1 min, until creamy. Transfer 2-3 tbsp to a freezer bag. Unroll sponge cake and spread remaining filling over top. Cut into 8 - 1 1/2 inch slices.
- Roll up one end of each slice to make a snail tail. Roll each slice over once on the other end to make the snail's head. Cut off a tiny piece of the corner of freezer bag with filling and pipe 2 points on the snail 'head'. Place a chocolate sprinkle on each point to make eyes. Cut little pieces of licorice laces and stick on top of snails' heads to make antennae.
- Place sponge snails on a serving plate. Cut remaining licorice laces in 1/2 and arrange on plate as 'race tracks'.