The key to this traditional Italian pie is the incredibly rich and dense filling, which needs to be prepared at least a day, or preferably two days, before spreading in the pie shell and baking the pie. It's chock full of chopped almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and pine nuts, which are cooked along with honey, white wine, plumped raisins, crumbled butter cookies (use your favorite variety), and spices until thoroughlyof chopped combined.
- 300 grams flour
- 100 grams butter
- 100 grams sugar
- 1 glass white wine
- 200 grams honey (liquid)
- 50 grams almonds (peeled)
- 50 grams walnuts (shelled)
- 50 grams hazelnuts
- 50 grams pine nuts
- 50 grams raisins
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- cookies (Plain, crumbled)
- 5 ounces white wine
- ground black pepper
- ground cloves
- The filling is to be prepared the day before so the flavors are enhanced:
- Chop the nuts, the almonds, the pine nuts, and the hazelnuts.
- Place the honey in a small saucepan and melt it over very low heat.
- Add the wine to the saucepan with the honey and bring it to a boil.
- Add the chopped nuts and the raisins, previously soaked in warm water.
- Add the crumbled cookies and mix all the ingredients together.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon (you can also add black pepper and ground clove).
- Once the mixture is uniform in consistency, remove it from the heat and let it cool.
- Place the mixture in a bowl and refrigerate it for a day (two is even better).
- Prepare the dough the next day:
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Place the flour on the work surface, add the butter and the sugar to the center and begin to knead the ingredients together.
- Add a pinch of salt and the white wine.
- Continue kneading until the dough is compact and uniform in consistency.
- Divide the dough into two parts, one larger than the other.
- Roll out the larger piece of dough and line a pie plate, which has been buttered and floured.
- Place the filling prepared the day before in the pie plate, and cover with the the other piece of dough, previously rolled out.
- Seal the edges together, use a toothpick to make holes in the top of the pie and brush it with some oil.
- Bake the pie for approximately 30 minutes, the crust should be lightly golden.
- Cool the cake completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1180Calories from Fat490|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat490|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.