Spongata PieL'Antro dell'Alchimista
The key to this traditional Italian pie is the incredibly rich and dense filling, which needs to be prepared at least a day, or preferably two days, before spreading in the pie shell and baking the pie. It's chock full of chopped almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and pine nuts, which are cooked along with honey, white wine, plumped raisins, crumbled butter cookies (use your favorite variety), and spices until thoroughlyof chopped combined.
- 300 grams flour
- 100 grams butter
- 100 grams sugar
- 1 glass white wine
- 200 grams honey (liquid)
- 50 grams almonds (peeled)
- 50 grams walnuts (shelled)
- 50 grams hazelnuts
- 50 grams pinenuts
- 50 grams raisins
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- cookies (Plain, crumbled)
- 5 ounces white wine
- ground black pepper
- ground cloves
- 1The filling is to be prepared the day before so the flavors are enhanced:
- 2Chop the nuts, the almonds, the pine nuts, and the hazelnuts.
- 3Place the honey in a small saucepan and melt it over very low heat.
- 4Add the wine to the saucepan with the honey and bring it to a boil.
- 5Add the chopped nuts and the raisins, previously soaked in warm water.
- 6Add the crumbled cookies and mix all the ingredients together.
- 7Add a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon (you can also add black pepper and ground clove).
- 8Once the mixture is uniform in consistency, remove it from the heat and let it cool.
- 9Place the mixture in a bowl and refrigerate it for a day (two is even better).
- 11Prepare the dough the next day:
- 12Preheat the oven to 190C.
- 13Place the flour on the work surface, add the butter and the sugar to the center and begin to knead the ingredients together.
- 14Add a pinch of salt and the white wine.
- 15Continue kneading until the dough is compact and uniform in consistency.
- 16Divide the dough into two parts, one larger than the other.
- 17Roll out the larger piece of dough and line a pie plate, which has been buttered and floured.
- 18Place the filling prepared the day before in the pie plate, and cover with the the other piece of dough, previously rolled out.
- 19Seal the edges together, use a toothpick to make holes in the top of the pie and brush it with some oil.
- 20Bake the pie for approximately 30 minutes, the crust should be lightly golden.
- 21Cool the cake completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1180Calories from Fat490|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat490|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.