If you have 65 minutes to spare and are in the mood for a baked seafood dish, then look no further. This meal is perfect for the summer and takes advantage of easily accessible ingredients that together will create a creamy and well-seasoned mixture that will infuse itself into the delicate meat of the cod. Once breaded and baked, the rich and crispy texture of the fish will pair well with a light salad.
- cod (Unsalted)
- 60 grams butter
- 60 grams flour
- 275 milliliters cod (cooking water)
- 275 milliliters milk
- 200 milliliters cream
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- nutmeg (to taste)
- 2 sliced bread (dried)
- milk (to taste)
- 125 milliliters olive oil
- 2 onions (cut in half-moon slices)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 carrots (grated)
- olive oil (for greasing)
- grating cheese (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cook the cod in a pot of salted boiling water. When done, remove from pan, and remove skin and bones. Shred the remaining fish meat.
- Set aside 275 milliliters of the cooking water.
- In a pan, heat the butter.
- Add the flour, and stir well
- Slowly, add the cod cooking water, 275 millimeters of milk, and when mixture begins to thicken, add the cream.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- As soon as the mixture starts to bubble, turn off the heat.
- In a bowl, place the bread, add milk, and let it soak.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic, and saute without burning.
- When half cooked, add the carrots, and simmer until carrots are done.
- Add the cod, stir, and cook for few minutes.
- Slightly squeeze the bread to remove excess milk, and crumble it into the pan.
- Stir very well, and add half of the previously prepared sauce, stir, and correct the seasoning.
- As soon as it begins to bubble, turn off the heat.
- Grease a baking tray with olive oil, and place the cod in the bottom.
- On top, spread the remaining sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake to gratin, for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with a salad.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1450Calories from Fat620|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat620|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.