Spiral Vegetable PieHoje para Jantar
This pie looks like a complicated dish to make, but all it really takes is a little attention to detail and some patience. Thin ribbons of vegetables are arranged in a spiral pattern to create a show-stopping dish. The vegetables sit atop a wheat crust and a yogurt custard for a multi-dimensional meal. This is a great dish to serve at brunch or for lunch. Make this in the summer when produce is at its peak for the most flavor.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 eggs
- 3 butter (tablespooons, melted)
- 3 warm water (tablespooons)
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 plum tomatoes (peel)
- 1 greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup yogurt (skim milk)
- 3 eggs
- mozzarella cheese (Grated, or Emmental cheese, to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch chives (minced)
- 1Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Mix the flours, and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- 3Make a hole in the middle, and pour in the melted butter, scrambled egg, and water.
- 4Mix well and, if needed, add another tablespoon of water.
- 5Work the dough on a lightly floured surface until it obtains an elastic texture.
- 6Roll out the dough, and line the pie pan. Prick the bottom with a fork.
- 7Use a carrot slicer to cut the eggplant, zucchini, and carrot.
- 8Season the vegetables with a pinch of salt before assembling the tart (this step causes the vegetables to release some of their water, becoming more malleable, which facilitates the lengthy assembly process, and gives some spice to the vegetables).
- 9Prepare the custard by mixing the yogurt, milk, eggs, cheese, garlic. and minced chives.
- 10Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 11Spread the custard on bottom of the pie plate.
- 12Arrange the vegetables starting from the outside.
- 13Try to make them all the same height, cutting a little from one side, leaving the peel side up.
- 14Complete with a rosette made with the tomato peel.
- 15Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the base is cooked.
- 16Check if the vegetables are cooked.
- 17Sprinkle extra virgin olive oil, or fruity olive oil on top, and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories440Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.