Spiral-Cut Ham with Slow-Roasted Asparagus and Lemon-Thyme SaucePork
For a more elegant dinner celebration, this spiral-cut ham looks festive and tastes fabulous with the light citrus sauce.
- 8 pounds smoked ham (spiral-sliced, bone-in)
- 2 1/2 pounds asparagus
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (finely shredded)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (OR parsley, snipped)
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place ham on rack in a shallow baking pan. Cover pan tightly with foil. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion (not touching bone) registers 135 degrees F. (about 15 minutes per pound).
- 2Meanwhile, remove and discard woody stems from asparagus spears. Arrange asparagus in a 15 x 10 x 2-inch baking pan. Drizzle with cooking oil. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning. When ham reaches 135 degrees F., add asparagus to oven. Roast about 30 minutes more or until asparagus is tender and ham registers 140 degrees F.
- 3For lemon sauce, in a 1 1/2-quart saucepan combine cornstarch, sugar, bouillon granules and pepper. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon peel. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir until mixture is bubbly. Cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in butter and snipped thyme or parsley.
- 4To serve, slice ham. Serve with asparagus and lemon sauce. (Use remaining ham for sandwiches or another recipe.)
PER SERVING *
|Calories350Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.