- 2 pounds flank steak (trimmed)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1/2 pound spinach (washed, stemmed and chopped)
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 pound gorgonzola cheese (crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Butterfly the steak by using a long sharp knife holding it parallel to the work surface, cut through the long side of the steak, stopping about ½ inch from the opposite side. If the steak is already thin, just pound it with a mallet to ¼ inch thick.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté` the shallots until soft, 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze out all the moisture from the spinach and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the steak on a sheet of plastic wrap. Smear the spinach mixture evenly over the steak, leaving about 1 inch border along the side edge. Beginning with the side near you and using the plastic wrap as an aid, rollup the steak, gently pressing on the filling.
- Tie the rolled steak with twine at 2-3 inch interval.
- Season the outside with salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Sear the roast on all sided, about 2 minutes per side.
- Place in the oven and roast for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board, tend with aluminum foil and allow resting for 10 minutes.
- To serve, remove the twine from the roast and cut into ½ inch to 1 inch thick slices.
|Calories630Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.