This easy, cheesy quiche is a great way to sneak some greens onto the brunch table!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces low moisture mozzarella cheese (shredded, 2 oz. per 1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese (2 oz. per 1/2 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange a rack to the lowest position in the oven.
- Poke the bottom of the frozen pie shell with a fork, and place on a baking sheet.
- Pro tip: Docking a pie crust by poking holes in it with a fork allows steam to escape, avoiding bubbles in the crust while baking.
- Bake the pie shell for 12-14 minutes or according to package directions on the bottom rack of oven, until the bottom is slightly puffed. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Reduce the oven to 350°F.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the spinach leaves. Cook, stirring frequently, for about a minute, or until the spinach is fully wilted. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, salt, and black pepper, until smooth.
- Place the spinach and cheeses into the egg and milk mixture. Fold with a rubber spatula until the spinach and cheeses are evenly distributed.
- Pour the egg, spinach, and cheese mixture into the pie shell. Cover the edges of the pie shells with pie guards or strips of aluminum foil to avoid burning or over-browning the crust.
- Bake the quiche for 45-55 minutes on the bottom rack of oven, until the top is firm and golden brown.
- Check to see that quiche is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before slicing and serving. Leftover quiche may be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.