- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 1/4 pounds spinach
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
- 3 ounces gouda cheese (grated)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces phyllo dough
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 pound tomatoes (diced)
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil over medium heat. Once the water reaches a boil, remove from heat. Let eggs sit in hot water for 12 mins, drain then run under cold water. Peel.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan, add 1/2 the onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 mins, stirring. Add spinach and 3/4 cup stock, cover and simmer for 15-18 mins. Drain excess liquid from spinach and squeeze well. Combine spinach, pine nuts, cheese and nutmeg and season. Set aside.
- Melt 2-3 tbsp butter. Lay a sheet of phyllo dough on a clean, damp tea towel and brush with butter. Repeat so that you have 3-4 layers of pastry. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top layer then spoon the spinach filling along one long edge, leaving a 2 inch margin. Add boiled eggs. Roll up, using the tea towel to help, then secure by brushing the final edge with butter. Place on a baking sheet and brush with remaining butter. Press gently all over.
- Bake for 25-30 mins, until golden and crisp. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp butter, add remaining onion and sauté for 3-4 mins, stirring. Add tomato paste and flour and cook for 1-2 mins. Add cream and remaining stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 mins, stirring. Add tomatoes and sugar and season. Serve with strudel.