You do not have to spend a ton of money to have a five star dinner. Try this recipe for Spicy San Juan Pear and Duck Ham Salad . This rich and flavorful appetizer combines a hearty meal on a budget. Be sure to plan ahead, because these decadent hand held treats need to be refrigerated for at least an hour before serving. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this dish as much as we do.
- 6 pears (San Juan)
- juniper (small balls of)
- 2 cardamom seeds
- 1 lime (sheet, sold dried)
- 2 sheets phyllo pastry
- 200 grams mesclun salad
- sherry vinegar
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 slices duck ham
- pine nuts
- In a saucepan, heat water and sugar with juniper, cardamom, and lime.
- While mixture comes to boil, peel pears and add to pan.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Then let cool in the syrup and let stand overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- To make the phyllo cup, cut 2 sheets of pastry into 6 pieces each.
- Brush each piece with a little oil to prevent them from drying out.
- Using a muffin pan, place two pieces of phyllo dough in each well with the edges pointing up.
- Bake in preheated oven until pastry begins to brown.
- Remove from oven, cool on rack so they stay crisp.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, sherry vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Just before serving, season each phyllo cup with a small amount of sherry vinegar mixture.
- Arrange mesclun, pear and a slice of duck ham in each cup.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts.