Spicy Saffron couscous With Vegetables and BaconO Meu Tempero
Saffron, turmeric, and coriander lend exotic flavors to the couscous here, which is also seasoned with garlic and hot pepper as it "cooks" and then combined with a mixture of finely chopped (in a food processor) bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, carrot, cilantro, and red chile pepper. Crisped bacon bits are added at the end, just before serving, as the main part of a meal (with a salad alongside) or a side dish for meat, poultry, or fish.
- 300 grams couscous
- 350 milliliters boiling water
- 1 teaspoon saffron (or turmeric)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic pepper seasoning
- salt (to taste)
- 70 grams bacon slices
- 1 red bell pepper (seeds removed)
- 1 cucumber (peeled and seeds removed)
- 3 tomatoes (peeled and seeds removed)
- 1 carrots (peeled)
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 1 red chili peppers (large)
- extra-virgin olive oil (to taste)
- red wine vinegar (to taste)
- 1Place the turmeric, coriander seed, garlic and hot pepper in the boilng water and season with salt to taste.
- 2Place the couscous in a bowl and pour the water over top.
- 3Coriander seeds will soften. No need to remove them.
- 4When the water is completely absorbed, separate the grains with a fork.
- 5Heat a pan and fry the bacon.
- 6In a food processor, chop the bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, carrot, fresh coriander and chillies.
- 7Place the couscous, mixed with the chopped vegetables, on a platter or in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar to taste.
- 8Mix well and sprinkle with the crisp bacon.