The paste that's used to flavor the chicken can be used for turkey, pork, or even fish, too. It's a piquant blend of hot red chili pepper, garlic cloves, and fresh cilantro. Be sure to get this mix under the chicken skin as well as in the cavity, which will also hold a pierced whole lemon (piercing will allow the juices to flow out in the oven). The potatoes are cooked right in the same pan for a meal in one.
- 1 chicken (large)
- 1 red chile pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- 6 teaspoons butter
- potatoes (for roasting)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- Place chicken in a large roasting pan.
- In the food processor, grind chile pepper, garlic, cilantro. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Carefully separate the chicken skin and place seasoning under the skin on both sides of the chest and rib cage.
- Pierce the lemon several times with a fork, and place inside the chicken. Arrange the potatoes around the chicken and arrange 6 teaspoons of butter in pieces over potatoes. Drizzle wtih olive oil. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 1/2 hours and baste occasionally. After 45 minutes, remove aluminum foil to brown the top of the chicken.