Drawing inspiration from South Asian cuisine, this Spicy Indian Chettinad Chicken is rich and aromatic. Fresh chili peppers and coriander seeds are ground in a mortar and pestle into a paste that will add a punch of spice to this tasty chicken dish. The addition of ginger, turmeric, and cumin add additional heat as well as a variety of flavor. The chicken is simmered in this mixture, allowing it to soak up all of the flavor. Best served alongside basmati rice and fresh naan.
- 5 red chili peppers (dried and large)
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds (toasted in a dry pan)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 800 grams chicken breast (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 3 tomatoes (diced)
- sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 curry leaves (optional)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- cilantro leaves
- 6 ounces greek yogurt (unflavored)
- naan bread
- basmati rice (cooked)
- In a mortar and pestle, crush the chilis with the coriander seeds until a paste forms. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet, drizzle in the vegetable oil. Add the turmeric, peppercorns, fennel, cumin, and curry leaves (optional). Stir just a few moments until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the onions to saute a few minutes. Then add the powdered ginger. Simmer on low heat until the onion has softened. If everything starts to stick, add a little water.
- Add the chicken and stir until it is coated in the spices. Add some water making sure not to completely cover the chicken.
- Incorporate the tomatoes and simmer 20 minutes until the chicken has cooked through.
- Stir in 1 to 2 teaspoons of the coriander/chili mixture and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve with the cilantro sprinkled on top and the yogurt, naan, and rice as accompaniments.
PER SERVING *
|Calories450Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.