Smoky ham joins all the usual suspects for a slowly cooked spicy stew that’s great served over hot rice.
- 1 pound ham (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 1 jalapeno chile (seeded and minced*)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 56 ounces chopped tomatoes (undrained)
- 10 ounces frozen corn
- 15 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- In small skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onion, jalapeno and garlic until onion is tender, about 4 minutes.** Place onion mixture in 4-5-quart crockpot, add remaining ingredients and mix gently. Cover and cook on High setting 4 hours. Serve over hot rice, with sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.