Spicy Cured Pork LoinPork
- 4 pounds boneless pork loin roast
- 2 quarts water (boil, then let cool)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds (coarsely crushed)
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- snack chips (Wood, for fire, soaked in water for 1 hour)
- 1Place pork loin in very large plastic bag in a large rectangular pan; pour cooled brine over and seal bag; place pan in refrigerator for 3 days and turn bag occasionally.
- 2Build a medium-hot fire in covered kettle-style grill and bank the coals. Remove pork from brine, discarding liquid but setting aside the seasonings. Add wood chips to fire, along with the reserved seasonings. Place pork on grill and cook over indirect heat, about 20 minutes per pound, until internal temperature measured with a meat thermometer registers 145 F. Remove from grill, let rest 10 minutes. Slice thinly to serve.