The smoky flavor of bacon combined with the spicy flavor of chipotle chilies make this a side dish that demands second helpings. Serve with Margarita Pork Roast.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 yellow onion (medium, chopped)
- 3 cups rice (long-grain)
- 43 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (about 1/4 of a 4-oz can, diced)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped, some green tops included)
- In deep, heavy saucepan sauté bacon with onion until onion is slightly tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in rice; cook and stir to coat well. Add chicken broth, water, chiles and salt. Bring to a boil; cover, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for up to 15 minutes before serving. Remove to serving bowl; garnish with cilantro and green onion.