Warm aromatic spices pair beautifully with plums and add flavour to this dense, moist loaf.
- 8 plums (medium, firm but ripe, halved and stoned)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground aniseed
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 180 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs (M lightly beaten)
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 icing sugar (a cup)
- lemon juice
- Cut each plum half into 3 wedges and set aside. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and other spices in a bowl and set aside.
- For the cake beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and light. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder and gently mix into the butter mixture. Don’t over beat or the cake will be tough.
- Spread half of the batter in the base of the loaf tin (app. 25cm x 13cm and 7½ cm deep) lined with parchment paper, then scatter over half of the plums. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture over the top. Repeat with the remaining batter, plums and sugar.
- Bake in the oven at 150°C fan for about 1 h 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover the top loosely with foil if getting too brown. Cool completely before removing from the tin.
- For the icing combine icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a smooth, thick but pourable icing.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar or drizzle with lemon icing.
|Calories220Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.