Spelt, Carrot, and Apple MuffinsAnanás e Hortelã
These wholesome muffins take their flavor cue from carrot cake, combining grated carrot with diced apple, brown sugar, and pumpkin seeds in the batter, which is made with spelt flour instead of all-purpose flour. More pumpkin seeds are sprinkled on of each muffin before baking, along with more brown sugar, which crates a crunchy, caramelized topping. They are best served while still warm, for breakfast, brunch, or afternoon snack, or even as a healthy after-dinner treat.
- 2 eggs
- 80 grams brown sugar
- 50 milliliters vegetable oil
- 150 grams spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small carrots (finely grated)
- 1 apples (small, peeled and finely diced)
- 20 grams pumpkin seeds
- 30 grams pumpkin seeds
- light brown sugar (to taste)
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- 2Combine the eggs, brown sugar, and vegetable oil in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- 3Stir in the spelt flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- 4Add the carrot, apple, and pumpkin seeds, making sure they are distributed evenly within the batter.
- 5Fill some muffin tins two-thirds full. Sprinkle with additional pumpkin seeds and light brown sugar.
- 6Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.