Pain a L’ancienne is a lovely rustic French bread that uses the delayed-fermentation process to create a bread with more flavor and a beautifully colored crust. Made with just four ingredients, these Spelt Pain a L’ancienne loaves have a lovely crust and inner texture. These loaves are made with spelt flour, making them a great option for anyone with a wheat allergy or sensitivity. Be sure to follow the instructions in this recipe closely to get the best result.
- 450 grams ice water
- 5 grams instant yeast
- 600 grams spelt flour (refined)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Allow the ice cubes in the water to melt.
- Sprinkle the yeast with the flour in a large bowl. Add the water and salt. Knead by hand for 8 minutes until a dough forms.
- Grease a bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day, preheat the oven to 290 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature to double its original volume.
- Place on a floured flat surface and shape into a rectangle.
- Sprinkle 2 pieces of parchment paper with flour and place on baking sheets.
- Cut the dough rectangle into strips. Leave them as they and place on the parchment or fold them threefold to make ciabatta loaves.
- Spray the inside of the oven with water and place the bread inside. Spray 3 more times, 30 seconds apart.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the temperature of the bread reaches 95 C.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool before serving.
|Calories┅Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.