What gives this bread such a unique taste and texture are the dried cranberries and sunflower seeds that are sprinkled over the top of the loaf just before it goes into the oven for baking. Having three different types of flour also helps (wheat flour, whole wheat flour, and spelt flour), which also combine to contribute a sturdier, chewier crumb (perfect for slicing and slathering with you favorite jam or other spread).
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast (organic)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- In the pan of a bread machine, place the ingredients (add the cranberries and sunflower seeds first) in the order specified by the manufacturer. Set to dough cycle.
- At the end of the cycle, place the dough in a lightly greased pan. Brush with water and sprinkle with dried cranberries and sunflower seeds. Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF, until golden brown.