Made from a mixture of spelt and almond flour, these Spelt Biscotti are a great tea time biscuit for anyone that has a wheat allergy or sensitivity. Spiced with cinnamon, these Spelt Biscotti are filled with almonds and dried cranberries making them a perfect wintertime treat to serve alongside a piping hot cup of tea, coffee, or cocoa. Biscotti is a twice baked cookie, so make sure you pay attention to the baking instructions to achieve the perfect crisp biscuit.
- 100 grams almonds (unpeeled)
- 600 grams spelt flour
- 90 grams almond flour
- 350 grams sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon
- 5 eggs
- 90 grams dried cranberries (or cherries)
- Soak the almonds in water.
- In a large bowl, add the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and lemon zest. Whisk together and make a well in the middle.
- Crack 4 eggs into the well and start kneading the mixture together until a dough forms.
- Drain the almonds and dry them on a paper towel. Add them and the dried cranberries to the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Form the dough into 2 loaves and sprinkle the top with flour. Note that the dough will be sticky and heavy.
- Baste the tops of the loaves with remaining beaten egg and transfer onto a baking sheet leaving room between the 2 as they will rise a bit.
- Bake 30 minutes, remove from heat, and let cool about 5 minutes. Do not turn off the oven.
- With a serrated knife, cut the loaves into 1 centimeter bars. Place the bars back on the baking sheet and bake another 10 minutes, flipping after 5 minutes, until crunchy.
- Cool and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories90Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.