Spanakopita, otherwise known as Greek spinach pie, is a traditional Greek savory pastry. Traditionally spanakopita is made with thin flaky sheets of phyllo dough and a spinach filling featuring feta cheese, onions, parsley, and egg. Spanakopita can be made either as a savory pastry sachet or as a pie. This recipe for spanakopita follows the latter preparation with a phyllo crust sandwiching the spinach filling on the top and bottom.
- olive oil
- 1 onions (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (diced)
- 600 grams spinach
- 1 handful fresh parsley (chopped)
- 350 grams feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- ground black pepper
- 1 package phyllo pastry
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat up some oil and saute together the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the spinach with whatever water is still on their leaves after washing them. Cover and simmer on low heat for a few minutes until wilted.
- Let this mixture cool and then stir in the parsley, feta, and eggs. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Choose a baking tray slightly smaller than the phyllo sheets and baste with olive oil.
- Moisten 2 kitchen towels and lay the phyllo pastry between them.
- Lay a phyllo sheet in the baking tray, basting it with oil and letting the sides hang over the edges. Repeat with 2 more phyllo sheets, basting each one.
- Fill with the sauteed mixture you made earlier.
- Cover with another 3 layers of phyllo, basting with oil each sheet.
- Roll down the edges of the phyllo dough.
- Baste the top of the dish and sprinkle on the sesame seeds.
- With the tip of a knife, trace the portions so that when you later cut the baked pastry it does not break.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories710Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.