Puttanesca is a classic Italian sauce that includes garlic, anchovies, tomatoes, olives, and capers, and that's what you'll find in this recipe. The idea behind the sauce is that is a frugal way to make a meal out of pantry staples, and you may want to start stocking up on the ingredients yourself. That way, you can prepare this decidedly delicious on whenever the mood strikes, and at a moment's notice since it is as quick as it is satisfying
- 500 grams spaghetti
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can anchovies
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- black olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- fresh oregano
- fresh basil
- Cook spaghetti in plenty of boiling, salted water until al dente, according to package directions.
- In a separate pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil and briefly sauté chopped garlic.
- Add anchovies, peeled and chopped tomatoes, capers, pitted and sliced olives and oregano.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Drain cooked spaghetti and mix it with sauce.
- Garnish with basil leaves and olives to taste. Serve hot.