Southwestern Pork Medallions with Cinnamon Couscous & Peach ChutneyPork
This stylish meal sounds like it is quite a bit of work, but it comes together quickly, and the chutney can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight. Serve with a cucumber salad and crusty bread.
- 1 pork tenderloin (about one pound)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- 1 jalapeno chilies (seeded and minced*)
- 16 ounces peach slices (drained)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1In lightly oiled skillet, sauté bell pepper, garlic, onion and jalapeno for 2 minutes, stirring, until vegetables are wilted. Stir in peaches, brown sugar and vinegar. Simmer briefly, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature, up to 2 hours, until serving.
- 2In large saucepan, bring water, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and butter to a boil; stir in the couscous, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, cut pork into medallions about 3/4-inch thick. In small bowl stir together remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder; rub this mixture over all surfaces of medallions. Broil medallions 4-5 inches from heat for 4 minutes; turn and broil 3-4 minutes more.** Serve medallions with couscous and chutney.
- 4Serves 4.
- 5*Always wear rubber gloves when handling hot chiles.
- 6**For the grill: Prepare a medium-hot fire in grill. Grill pork medallions, uncovered, over direct heat for about 4 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. allowing for a 3 minutes rest before serving.
- 7Wine suggestion: Pour a chilled Chenin Blanc
PER SERVING *
|Calories540Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.