Bored with your basic everyday egg casserole? This hearty Southwestern version is packed with enough flavor, spice, and texture to keep you happy all morning long.
- 8 ounces chorizo (removed from casings)
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces Mexican cheese blend (shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9x13” casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Finely dice the peppers and onion.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chorizo in the skillet. Cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes, using a rubber spatula to break up the chorizo into small pieces as it cooks.
- Transfer the chorizo to a medium bowl, reserving the rendered fat in the skillet.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the peppers and onion. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the peppers and onion are softened and slightly browned. Add the black beans, cumin, coriander, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, continuing to stir, for 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper. Add the chorizo, black bean vegetable mixture, and shredded cheese. Fold with a rubber spatula until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Transfer the dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the casserole for 40-45 minutes, until it is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the casserole to cool for at least ten minutes before serving.
|Calories710Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.