Marrekus Wilkes of Cooks with Soul slips a little Cajun seasoning into his homey, extra-cheesy version of mac ‘n’ cheese that stars on his family’s Thanksgiving table. And he goes with curly cavatappi pasta instead of the usual elbow noodles to give the cheese sauce more to hold onto. If you’re looking for comfort food, this one’s a winner. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Cooks with Soul.
- 1 lb. cavatappi (pasta noodles)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter (plus more for greasing dish)
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese (block cheese, shredded, divided)
- 1 lb. colby jack cheese (block cheese, shredded, divided)
- 1 Tbsp. cajun seasoning mix (such as Cooks With Soul’s The Boot, or your favorite)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling bowl, add pasta, and cook according to directions until al dente (it will continue to cook when it bakes). Scoop out about ½ cup hot pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Transfer pasta to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, slowly adding a little bit at a time, and cook until a light brown color is achieved. This is your roux. Whisk in milk a little at a time until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly start adding about three-quarters of the cheddar cheese. Continue whisking until cheese is completely melted. Slowly add three-quarters of the Colby jack and whisk until melted. Remove cheese sauce from heat and stir in Cajun seasoning.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories710Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes