Make your own savory crackers at home with this recipe for Sourdough Caraway Crackers. This recipe provides instructions for making your own sourdough starter, a process which should be initiated at least five days before you plan on making the crac…
ers. The cracker dough, once made, needs to sit overnight, so be sure to plan accordingly. Made from a combination of rye and wheat flours and sweetened with honey, these crackers are flavored with caraway seed for a savory cracker you can enjoy on any occasion.
- 400 grams wheat flour (whole-)
- 400 grams water (room temperature)
- 1 lemon juice (squeeze, or vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon raisins
- 250 grams whole milk
- 30 grams water
- 20 grams honey
- 30 grams base (sourdough)
- 250 grams rye flour (white)
- 125 grams whole wheat flour
- 10 grams salt
- 2.5 grams baking soda
- 5 grams caraway seeds
- Five days before you want to make the crackers, start to make the sourdough base. In a crystal jar, add 50 grams of flour, 50 grams of water, the lemon juice, and the raisins. Mix well, add the lid only halfway on so gases can escape, and let sit overnight. The next day you should see bubbles.
- On day 2, add 50 grams more of flour and 50 grams more of water. Stir the mixture again and let sit another 24 hours. You should see more bubbles and some liquid on top. Drain off the liquid.
- On day 3, throw away half of the jar’s contents. Add another 100 grams flour and 100 grams water. Mix well and let sit another 24 hours. The next day the mixture should look spongy.
|Calories730Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|