Make your own savory crackers at home with this recipe for Sourdough Caraway Crackers. This recipe provides instructions for making your own sourdough starter, a process which should be initiated at least five days before you plan on making the crackers. The cracker dough, once made, needs to sit overnight, so be sure to plan accordingly. Made from a combination of rye and wheat flours and sweetened with honey, these crackers are flavored with caraway seed for a savory cracker you can enjoy on any occasion.
- 400 grams wheat flour (whole-)
- 400 grams water (room temperature)
- 1 lemon juice (squeeze, or vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon raisins
- 250 grams whole milk
- 30 grams water
- 20 grams honey
- 30 grams base (sourdough)
- 250 grams rye flour (white)
- 125 grams whole wheat flour
- 10 grams salt
- 2.5 grams baking soda
- 5 grams caraway seeds
- Five days before you want to make the crackers, start to make the sourdough base. In a crystal jar, add 50 grams of flour, 50 grams of water, the lemon juice, and the raisins. Mix well, add the lid only halfway on so gases can escape, and let sit overnight. The next day you should see bubbles.
- On day 2, add 50 grams more of flour and 50 grams more of water. Stir the mixture again and let sit another 24 hours. You should see more bubbles and some liquid on top. Drain off the liquid.
- On day 3, throw away half of the jar’s contents. Add another 100 grams flour and 100 grams water. Mix well and let sit another 24 hours. The next day the mixture should look spongy.
- On day 4, throw away everything but 100 grams of the jar’s contents. Add 100 grams flour and 100 grams water, then mix well and let sit another 24 hours. You should notice the smell of the dough has changed. You can now remove the raisins.
- On day 5, throw away everything but 100 grams of the jar’s contents. Add 100 grams flour and 100 grams water, mix well, and let sit until doubled in volume, which may take less than 24 hours.
- Once it has doubled, take 30 grams out to use for the crackers.
- In a bowl, mix together the whole milk, water, honey, 30 grams sourdough base, rye flour, wheat flour, salt, baking soda, and caraway seeds. Knead lightly, form a ball, cover with a cloth, and let sit overnight, unrefrigerated.
- On day 6, preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
- Pinch off balls of dough approximately the size of a tennis ball. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough out flat and very thin. Pierce all over with the tines of a fork so the cracker does not rise in the oven.
- Baste the top of the dough with water and sprinkle on caraway seeds.
- Place the dough on a baking tray or pizza stone and bake for 7 to 10 minutes until golden around the edges.
- Remove to a baking rack to cool before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories730Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.