- 1 gram chocolate (tool kit, about 175)
- 225 grams plain flour
- 115 grams butter (plus extra to grease)
- 3 egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- 25 grams caster sugar (plus 10 heaped tbsp)
- 1 inch syrup (can Red plums)
- 310 grams sponge (chocolate, with ch)
- 250 milliliters double cream
- 411 grams fruit cocktail (drained)
- 425 grams custard (ready made)
- 2 tablespoons apples (Stewed)
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- powdered sugar
- cocoa powder
- 1 Grate the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and sit the bowl above a pan of simmering water until melted.
- 2 Blitz the flour, 115g/4oz butter and 25g/1oz caster sugar in a processor until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add an egg yolk and blitz again to make a dough, adding a little water to bind.
- 3 Roll out the pastry on a floured work top to a 5mm thickness. Cut out four large discs with a cutter or saucer and line four large greased patty tins.
- 4 Prick the pastry bases with a fork and bake blind for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked and golden brown.
- 5 Whisk the egg whites until stiff and gradually whisk in eight heaped tbsp caster sugar to make a stiff meringue. Strain off the plum juice into a pan and simmer to reduce and thicken.
- 6 Divide half the crumbled sponge between the pastry cases. Spoon a third of meringue into a piping bag and pipe onto each case to cover the sponge.
- 7 Grill the tarts for 2-3 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.
- Serve with the plum sauce and some of the plums. Dust with icing sugar.
- 8 For the Trifles: Divide the remaining sponge between two dessert glasses.
- Whisk 150ml/ 1/4 pint double cream to stiff peaks with 1 tbsp caster sugar.
- 9 Drizzle a quarter of the melted chocolate over the chocolate sponges, spoon on half of the whipped cream and top with the fruit cocktail.
- 10 For the Souffles: Butter three small ramekin dishes well and lightly coat each with 1 tsp caster sugar. Shake off any excess.
- 11 Mix together two egg yolks, 1 tbsp custard, apple puree and cornflour, fold in a third of meringue mixture and spoon into the ramekin dishes. Bake for 8-10 minutes until risen and golden brown. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- 12 For the Floating Islands: Place large spoonfuls of the remaining meringue mix into a pan of simmering water and poach for 3-5 minutes or until set, turning over halfway through cooking. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and drain.
- 13 Pour the remaining custard and double cream into a pan and heat through gently. Add the remaining melted chocolate and mix together.
- 14 Pour the custard mixture into a bowl, sit the floating islands on top and dust with cocoa powder. Serve with the remaining plums.
PER SERVING *
|Calories960Calories from Fat560|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat560|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.