Soft & Chewy Sugar CookiesYummly
Soft, chewy, and buttery, these easy-to-make sugar cookies are a classic that can't be beat.
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
- 2Measure ¼ cup (50g) of granulated sugar into a small bowl. Set aside.
- 3Place the softened butter and the remaining 1 cup (200g) of granulated sugar into a large bowl. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute, or until pale and fluffy.
- 4Add the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract, and continue to beat on medium speed for 30 seconds to one minute, until light and fluffy.
- 5Turn the mixer to low, and add the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt to the bowl. Beat the mixture for about 1 minute, until all ingredients are combined.
- 6Form the cookie dough into 20 balls, depending on size preference, and place on the lined baking sheets. Roll each cookie in the bowl of granulated sugar, and return to the sheet.
- 7Once all the cookies are coated in sugar, place the baking trays in the freezer. Freeze for 10-15 minutes, while the oven preheats.
- 8Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- 9When the oven has preheated and the cookie dough has frozen for at least 10-15 minutes, transfer the baking sheets directly from the freezer to the oven.
- 10Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes, until they are just slightly golden brown on the edges, and puffy on top.
- 11Remove the baking sheets from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the sheets, then transfer them to cooling racks to cool completely.